The soothing vistas of coffee plantations at The Hidden Valley and the fragrance of fresh coffee beans will linger in your memory long after you have left the holiday home behind.
The Hidden Valley offers you a number of activities. You can walk in and around the estates and if you are lucky, spot a few wild animals. A guided tour of the coffee-growing process is quite an interesting experience. The sports enthusiast can enjoy a game of basketball, badminton or target shooting with an air rifle.
For those who just want to relax, sitting on the lawns of the estate house, a good book and a hot pot of coffee is pure heaven. You could even unwind under the sky on a coracle or a raft on the mini lake.
Unlimited Wireless Internet access is provided complimentary at the Estate House for those of you who just have to plug into the web and access those important emails.
The TV in the living area has satellite programs and an attached DVD Player for those nights that you may want to watch the match you didn't want to miss or a movie.
Mobile phone access is limited. Airtel has limited coverage at certain points in the estate. Vodafone does not have coverage in estate areas as of now. But that’s the point of a retreat, to get away from those annoying calls and messages. BSNL, however offers full mobile coverage.
It is our sincere effort to make The Hidden Valley green and organic. Here are a few steps taken in this direction.
- Garden fresh vegetables and fruits are used, which are grown at The Hidden Valley
- We avoid deep-frying food unless specifically asked for
- There is minimum usage of oil in our cooking
- We use of good quality sunflower/olive oil
- Mean and fish, are obtained from known sources who ensure hygienic breeding
- The Hidden Valley is built with available resources like wood and other eco friendly material
- We recycle and compost where possible
- We use energy efficient equipent using local available fuel
- There is great focus on water conservation
- Our cleaning products and practices are environment friendly
Activities include a guided plantation tour, bonfire & barbecue, lazing on a coracle or fishing at the private mini-lake, target shooting, bird watching, basketball, badminton, indoor board games, nature walks, treks (in the plantation or to the village). There is also a friendly-animal pen.
You can opt for an jeep drive to the nearby villages and plan visits to tourist destinations close by like Belur, Halebeedu, Dharmasthala and Sringeri Mutt. A visit to the Shandy (weekly local market) - Chikmagalur on Wednesday, Mudigere on Friday, Aldur on Saturday and Handi on Sunday, will be a worthwhile experience.
Suggested Travel Plans (Temple visits and sightseeing) by making The Hidden Valley as a base camp.
- Belur and Halebeedu: Leave after breakfast and visit the world famous heritage temples. You can reach Chikmagalur by afternoon and break for lunch. Here you can visit the nearby sightseeing places like Kemmangundi, Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary and return to The Hidden Valley for dinner.
- Chikmagalur: Leave after breakfast and visit places like Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, Ranganabetta and Mullayanaperi (highest peak in Karnataka) or play a round of golf at the Chikmagalur Golf Club.
- Dharmastala & Subramanya: Leave Early morning and reach Subramanya temple via Sakleshpur. Thereafter proceed to Dharmastala where you can have darshan, lunch and return to The Hidden Valley via Ujre, the enchanting Charmadi Ghats, Mudigere, before dinner.
- Kalasa, Hornadu and Sringeri: Leave early morning to Kalasa / Hornadu and thereafter leave for Sringeri where you can have darshan and lunch. Return to The Hidden Valley via Balehonnur by dinner time.
- Mudigere: Find a few hours to wander around the small town of Mudigere. Buy the choicest cardamom, pepper and coffee and enjoy the local cuisine. If you are an an affilated member of The Mudigere club, you may enjoy their hospitality. This club is 25 years old.
What you can do at The Hidden Valley
- Coracle ride. You can enjoy a ride on the coracle, which can seat four to six people at a time, on the mini lake. We advise you to wear life jackets. The management does not take any responsibility against any mishap and the ride is deemed to be voluntary.
- Rabbit Petting Pen. There are plenty of rabbits at The Hidden Valley. Time flies when you’re with these furry little creatures.
- Nature walks through the estate. A beautiful way to interact with nature at her best.
- Outdoor badminton. You may enjoy a game of badminton if the weather is conducive. There are rackets provided for you. The cost of an imported shuttlecock is Rs. 100/-, though you could also use ordinary shuttles which are available at no cost.
- Target shooting* Air rifles are available for you to test your shooting skill (Rs. 25/- for 10 shots).
- Indoor games – Carom, Scrabble, Chess, Uno. There are also small bicycles and toys for children.
- Barbecue. The most fun way to have dinner at The Hidden Valley. You can make or choose your own barbecue.
- Bonfire. Sitting around roaring fire in the evening is the best way to spend an evening during your holiday.
- Jeep ride. You can opt for an jeep drive to the nearby villages and plan visits to tourist destinations close by like Belur, Halebeedu, Dharmasthala and Sringeri Mutt. A visit to the Shandy (weekly local market) - Chikmagalur on Wednesday, Mudigere on Friday, Aldur on Saturday and Handi on Sunday, will be a worthwhile experience.